Sunday, April 6, 2014

My YKI test experience

I took the YKI test, National Finnish Language Efficiency exam, yesterday. Here's a summary of my experience.
The exam started at 9.15 in a high school. We went to a class room and were handed the first booklet in which the reading and comprehension part was waiting us. The lady who handed us the booklets told us to write answers in the booklet, later on she found out that we should answer on answer sheets instead. So don't expect the most organized test of your life.
We had about an hour which was almost enough to answer all the about 25 questions. I had no difficulty answering those, however some of the questions just didn't make sense to me at all, but they were only a few. After that was a break of about 15 minutes and then we started the listening / speaking part of the test in the studio.
I had heard before that it was the most horrible part, but it didn't hurt that much. Imagine 25 people in a room, with headsets on, and starting to talk loudly, at the same time.
The listening part turned out, in my surprise, to be the most difficult one for me. The conversations were hard to understand, and the questions were asked from tiny details in some cases.
The writing part was easy for me. Write an email to your friend and ask him to come along on a trip. Another one, complain to the police about your neighbors.

All in all I think it went very well, and I owe it to my teacher to a great part :)


8 comments:

  1. hei,

    i gave the test same day,have you got the result?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    No. I don't think it's gonna show up earlier than second week in June.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. but now it is 6th week already, i hope to get this week,if iam not wrong

      Delete
  3. had the test same day in Lohja, today got the result!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im waiting for mine but all my classmates got the results and passed buh! I did on same day too

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to prepare for YKI test 2015 too but with the help of an intensive Finnish course :D http://www.koulutus.fi/kurssi/an-intensive-finnish-course-to-prepare-for-the-yki-test-431521 Don't want to panic at the exam :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can you guys recommend any good Finnish school to prepare for YKI in helsinki area?

    ReplyDelete